Monday, March 2, 2015

"I love my body" Victoria Secret


Victoria Secret is a worldwide company selling products from lingerie to windbreakers that people buy on a daily basis, but when did they begin to sell the idea that the only way to love your body is to look bony like the girls above? This advertisement, displayed in late 2014, is essentially advertising the company's new "body" bra line, but they are indirectly trying to get the audience to notice the bodies of the women. The slogan "I love my body" is implying that in order to love your body you have to be tall and skinny with no imperfections.

Seen that the models look young and are of different races it is obvious that Victoria Secret is trying to get women to buy their product and buy into the idea that the bra could make you love your body and look skinner. This advertisement was not suppose to insult women of different sizes but encourage them to buy their new bra line. The company may have used the thin models to draw attention to other skinny women their size. When was the last time you seen a larger women go shop in Victoria Secret? I haven't seen one when I go with my friends, have you?

In my opinion, not only the ad but the entire company is trying to sell young sexy skinny woman and exclude those woman who don't fit into their "body" line. They do this by making the biggest size of their bras a 36 DD, making their models look perfect knowing that their is no perfect body.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with the fact that Victoria's Secret is unintentionally sending out this message. There's been a very long debate about Victoria's Secret ads and things of that nature, an i think you analysis sums up a lot f it.

    ReplyDelete